Monday, November 28, 2011

The Stars My Destination

Though this has been somewhat of a common theme in some of my blog posts, I am just going to go for it. One of the things that was the most alluring about The Stars My Destination was the background concept for the main character, Gulliver Foyle Once again, we find ourselves with the average man.
The only thing that really motivated him to do anything extraordinary was the fact that his life really depended on his ability to un maroon himself in space. I (and I believe most others as well) find this very relatable to my own procrastination. I will stop at nothing to push things off for more time to do nothing, even if it is costing me success. It is also interesting that I am completely aware of this predicament, yet I continue to hurt myself in this way. It becomes such an apparent human trait especially when represented in the character in such an extreme situation.
I also find it funny that the tipping point was not so much at the fact that he was stuck, it was more when he became angry at being "passed up" at rescue by passing ships. His selfish behavior is so relatable, especially to my inner demon child.

No comments:

Post a Comment