Sunday, November 27, 2011

Harry Potter

I know it was suggested that we stay away from Harry Potter and his pals if we had already had the pleasure of reading the books before. But I couldn't resist reading once more now that I am older and I have some real world experience to compare it to.
It wasn't that I found them less interesting this time around, but I just really realized how much I fantasized about what it meant to grow older and be your own boss. I felt like when I was little, anything was possible. I do still believe that that is true, but back then I thought more along the lines that I would be able to experience anything I wanted, in an unlimited time frame. This idea of Harry becoming independent and owning up to his newfound magical powers and running around a giant castle under an invisible sheet at night(I would fantasize and compare this to learning how to drive, having a house, ect) was so open ended to me and applicable to my own life.


The obvious allure of this series was the idea of a secret world existing so close to our daily lives, yet being so undetected. I love how some some the solutions to keeping the magical world unexposed were so simple that they became absurd and comical. Like Muggle repellent charms that make an area off limits by making them think they have someplace more urgent to be that was previously forgotten about. They (we) become almost like an annoying nuisance.

Even just basic magical solutions to things that didn't involve muggle control are geared around this way of thinking, like the fact that you are supposed to bewitch a washcloth to clean dishes, instead of just magically making them clean in one step.

This division between two worlds brings up the interesting job of keeping them separate and drawing a fine line between what is considered the acceptable amount of mixing the two. In Harrys instance, he was brought up in a family of them who had full knowledge of the secret world, yet despised it. I love how Rowling brought in the idea that some Muggles were in the whole magical secrecy; especially the idea that Muggles can learn to do magic in certain situations.


No comments:

Post a Comment