Sunday, December 4, 2011

Diverse Position Science Fiction

As I am getting older (I know turning 20 might be young in most books, but for me that was a milestone) has brought of the idea of what it will be like to look back on this time I am living in now (with the assumption that I won't die in some tragic crash and will live to be old). What will I use to base my assumption of relativity off of? And what will be the thing that has "changed" in terms of social status and economic patterns?
It is interesting to think that when my grandmom was alive (born in the year 1919) segregation was normal. It was at the point where it was just what it was; those people who we consider to be "ignorant assholes" weren't even considered that, they were just normal. Now look where we have come now. There is obviously still opposition to minority freedom, but not so much in my generation.
This is why I consider diverse position science fiction to be very accurate in terms of the future. We really only seem to find white people dominating most scenarios of the future, but that is just because it was written today.
It is also interesting that not only will there be more domination by minorities, but I believe the way they interact (or the way we all do as a whole) will change. I think we will become more of a soup. The thought of "wow, that is a successful minority and i'm happy for him" will change to "wow,that is a successful person."
I also like considering where those "3rd world" countries will be, especially with the aid of technology. How their governments will develop and how in turn they will mix with other countries.
What was interesting about Dawn, was an aliens need to interbreed with us to create more of a genetic diversity. It is very plausible for our race to become too mixed in the future; to a point where our lack of genetic diversity becomes a biological downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment